A closer look at Ravenstar Studios
I painted up some of the Ravenstar Studios resin castings. I’ve painted up three of the Horrids both the A and B tanks and the Mother APC. I also have one of the Landcore walking tanks.
The three Horrids are very interesting. I liked them when I first got them but found them even more admirable once I started working on them. The detail is outstanding. The surface detail is enough that they would look presentable with a base coat, wash and dry brush. I decided that I wanted to do more than that though. These are great castings and look even better (I think) with a more detailed paint job. I was finally able to get some time Friday evening after wrestling with the 5 1/2 hour long multiple choice endurance test called the Certified Safety Professional Examination (I won’t get the official results for a couple of weeks but the computer said I passed!) Ok enough about that, what about Ravenstar’s castings.
The three giant bugs are very big indeed, at least in 15mm. They are bigger than anything I’ve ever fielded for my Hive and the Flame games in 15mm, almost twice as big as Brigade’s I’ve been using as Supra Major Shooters. The Mother APC is a three part kit. In honestly I didn’t work hard to get the one flap to lay flush, I liked it being a bit akimbo. One of the interesting features of the miniatures is the “face” . It has over a dozen eyes on it. I painted these blue, because it seemed like red or back would be cliche.
I still think the horn looks a lot like Tundro’s from Herculoids (which isn’t a bad thing-I loved that show). There is a lot of good detail that showed up under the brush, and in this case I did give it just the simple three step, base, wash, dry brush treatment. The results seem pretty good. As I said I thought he two Tanks deserved a bit more. I gave them both a green motif, one with broad stripes, as indicated the detail on the casting. The legs on these two are also more prominent than on the Mother APC, so they got more detailing as well.
I again thought about red for the open mouths but decided that it would give the critters a Christmas color look I really wanted to avoid. The vermilion around the black teeth brought out the detail on the “gums” really well.
Finally the human walking tank itself got a three color scheme (sorta late war German WW2 colors). I used a reddish brown base coat and then put on silly putty to mask the undercoats. I them gave it a dark wash and a drybrushing. As I said. I though these looked nice in the raw. But I found them a blast to paint and think the results are pretty decent. I’m not sure if they will fit in the HQC universe but they are really nice. I really look forward to more in this line!