I’ve been building terrain, when I’m not editing the two core books for the Stars of Empire RPG. I have a modular concept so I can fit it more easily into the Ranger.
The basic elements are composite 4 foot by 3 foot sheets I made up from plywood and foam sheet. I put the frame from drop ceilings on two sides. I added rare earth magnets to hold terrain pieces but I don’t think I will need them. To give the sheets texture and color I painted them with green latex and then flocked the crap out of them. Then I sprayed them with several coats of matte finish. I made six of them, so I can have a table 18 feet by 3 feet.
I built vertical sections using several sheets of 2 inch foam to represent the upper portions of the Hive, both undamaged and shattered. The shattered sections will get debris fields as well. I also used a variety of styrofoam bait boxes and spray foam. The solvent in spray paint helped add texture to the foam sheets by dissolving the surface of the sheeting. I used textured spray paint for the outer surface after using primers to put on the base color.
Three types of foam make up the Hive.
I also added a stand alone structure for use on one of the end sections.